Hello guys! Today we’re swapping things up a bit with some bendy instead of bake-y action–courtesy of the one and only SassyYogi: Angie! Angie is a lovely lady who has made massive waves in the wellness and yogi family online, and I got to know her through her tumblr where she kindly answered all sorts of yoga questions with patience and wisdom, started a hashtag movement with other tumblr yogis to encourage people to get into yoga and love themselves no matter what stage of flexibility/yoga proficiency they were at through daily challenges, and posted amazingly beautiful photos of her bendy adventures at all sorts of locations. I’m so very glad to have gotten in touch with such an inspiring figure, and am immensely chuffed to welcome her to post on my blog today! I’ll shut up now and let her talk.
Hello everyone! This is Angie (@sassyyogi), and I am really happy and honoured to be guest writing on Lin’s website. I have always been a huge fan of Lin and her amazing recipes online, and today I am very happy to be sharing my love with you guys – yoga!
Some of you may wonder what’s the relation between creating beautiful, innovative healthy foods and yoga. It is very simple – both are a form of art. They are great tools to help us gain a healthier relationship and perception with ourselves and our bodies. Yoga often suffers the misconception that it is only for the bendy, but that is really untrue. Many yogis (people who practice yoga) started off inflexible, and yogis come in all shapes and sizes, and are all amazing in their own way.
Having practiced yoga for 2 years and counting now, I still vividly recall the days when I hated stretching, and I couldn’t even touch my toes in a forward bend! 2 years later, not only am I physically more flexible, yoga has transformed my relationship with my body and my self-esteem issues. Yoga has been a great teacher for me in teaching me the importance of compassion, mindfulness, and self-acceptance.
How do I get started on yoga?
Getting started with yoga may seem like a daunting thing to do, especially when it comes to stepping into a brand new environment and trying out a brand new sport. Going with a friend always helps – it is a great support system where you and your friend can constantly encourage each other! If a yoga studio is not accessible to you for any reason, online resources are often a great way to get started as well. You can check out this post for a list of all the great online yoga resources for you to try it out.
At your first yoga class, do not be afraid to let your instructor know that you are a first-timer. It’s nothing embarrassing because everyone has their firsts, and it allows your instructor to pay more attention to your alignment and posture during your class. That way, you reap more benefit for your class!
Yoga is *NOT*…
1. … about those crazy looking poses that you see on tumblr, Facebook, or Instagram. It is more about connecting with your body, understanding and accepting your body’s limitations, and working within your means.
2. … just for the bendy, it’s for everyone! You do not have to be flexible to do yoga, you do yoga to become more flexible!
3. … an exclusive sport. The yoga community is really loving, inclusive, and supporting, and are one of the nicest people I’ve met.
4. … just for a certain group of people. You do not have to look a certain way to do yoga. No matter whether you are big or small, you can do yoga. Yoga is definitely not limited to a certain body type. If you can breathe, you can do yoga! As simple as that.
5. … easy. It may seem really easy and gentle, but certain styles of yoga (such as Bikram, Ashtanga, Vinyasa, just to name a few) can be really challenging and dynamic, and gets your heart pumping and your muscles (which you may never knew existed) to work up a sweat!
If you are looking to get started on yoga and may have any questions, feel free to comment on the post below and I will be sure to get back to you! Feel free to connect with me on my website, tumblr, and Instagram. It’s been a great pleasure to be guest writing on here, and I will see you guys real soon! x